Citrus and cardamom – the ultimate wintery flavor combo. I’m a big fan of biscotti and coffee in the morning, so I thought it would be fun to infuse these flavors into a favorite recipe of mine! Enjoy as a dessert or with morning coffee/tea 😊
Orange & Cardamom Biscotti
- 1 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest about 1/2 orange
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 egg + splash of orange juice for brushing on top
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. set to the side
- Toss flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom into a large bowl. In a second smaller bowl, add sugar and zest, massaging zest into the sugar until it turns light orange
- Wisk butter, egg, and orange juice into the bowl with sugar and zest. Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, and mix with a large spoon or spatula until everything is combined.
- Turn the dough onto the baking sheet, and form into a circular disk, about 1/2 thick. Make the egg wash and brush lightly over the top and sides of the disk.
- Bake the dough for 20-22 minutes, until the dough turns light brown in color. Remove dough from oven, and let it cool for a few minutes. Don't turn off the heat!
- Once cool, cut the disk into 1 inch thick slices and then cut each slice in half, making about 12-14 pieces of biscotti. Set slices cut sides up on the baking sheet. Return to the oven, and bake one side for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, turn biscotti over, and bake on the other side for 8 minutes.
- Transfer Biscotti to cooling rack and allow to cool for ~5 minutes. Store biscotti in an airtight container for 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.