Now, I’m a big fan of both vegan mac and cheese and regular mac and cheese. Some days I want something creamy and cheesy and delicious, and other days I want something a bit lighter, healthier, and vegan. Today though, I’m going to share a recipe that mixes the best of both worlds. The little bit of added dairy to this recipe truly makes it taste like mac and cheese, but the majority of the sauce comes from plants. Win-Win!
You’re not going to miss authentic mac and cheese when you try this. If you are totally vegan, you are more than welcome to use plant-based milk and nutritional yeast instead of the Parmesan.
Vegan-ish Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz Macaroni Noodles
- 1 Carrot Medium
- 2 Potatoes small
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan grated
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Place a large pot of water over the stove, salt, and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to package insctuctions. Preheat the over to 350°F
- While water is boiling, dice potatoes and carrots and steam or boil on the stove for about 10 minutes until fork tender. Once veggies are tender, add them to a blender along with the garlic, milk, parmesan, mustard, salt, pepper, onion poweder, and apple cider vinegar. Blend up the sauce until smooth and cream.
- Grease a 9×9 baking dish and add sauce and cooked noodles. Stir until combined. Add seasoned bread crumbs on top if desired and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve with a side of broccoli or any other delicious veggies and enjoy!